The smell of a burning jack-o-lantern brings me back in time. I've always loved this time of year. For one night we get to dress up and be something or someone we are not. It's fun and silly and mixes up the mundane routine of the day - to - day.
After the fun and festivities are through I see many pumpkins being tossed to the side, but today I have two lovely recipes for you to try out with that leftover orange fruit.
Sweet Coconut & Pumpkin Energy Balls & Savoury Pumpkin Masala Soup!
- ¾ cup pecans
- ¾ cup cashews
- 8 large dates
- 1/3cup pure pumpkin puree
- ½cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- ¼tsp ground cinnamon
- ½tsp ground nutmeg
- ½tsp real vanilla extract
- ¼tsp sea salt
- For rolling: ¼ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- Pour hot water over the nuts, dates. Let soak for 15 min.
- Drain the nuts and dates. Chop both. Blend in a food processor with the pumpkin, ½ cup coconut, spices, vanilla, and salt.
- Pulse 3-4 times or until the mixture starts to come together. If it isn’t “sticking”, add 1-2 Tbsp of water.
- Spread the ¼ cup of shredded coconut on a plate.
- Shape the mixture into evenly sized balls. Roll the balls in the shredded coconut.
- Refrigerate the balls for at least 20 minutes. The balls can be kept in the fridge until you’re ready to eat them.
MASALA PUMPKIN SOUP
- 1tbsp coconut oil
- 1tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 3 tsp chana masala
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1 large red chile pepper seeded and minced
- 1/2 tsp dried curry leaf crushed or curry powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1can (400 mL) full fat coconut milk
- 1-1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup chopped tomato (canned is OK)
- 1can (19 oz) chickpeas rinsed