When I was in my early twenties I went backpacking in India and Nepal with my girlfriends. While we were in Nepal I got sick on a trek through the Annapurna Circuit in the Himalayan Mountains. I was fortunate enough to have a Sherpa on that trek offer me some very helpful advice on healing. He told me to listen to the whispers of my own body and to always remember to eat with the seasons
. Twenty years later during a course I took on Ayurveda Medicine, I was reminded of that logic. Eat with the seasons and listen to your body. During these winter months we all need WARMNIG
, grounding, hardy and nourishing foods. Soups and stews, root vegetables, herbs and spices. So in honour of healing and prevention, listening
to our bodies these cold winter months and my Sherpa from Nepal wherever you are, this one’s for you. Here is a grounding and healing Kichadi Stew recipe made with brown rice, mung beans, veggies, cloves and spices for the whole family to enjoy. Just Shut Up and Try It.
Ingredients 4 ½ cups water (If I have on hand, will substitute with bone broth). ½ cup whole mung beans 3-5 whole cloves 1 piece of Cinnamon Stick ½ cup brown rice 1 onion, chopped 3 cloves garlic, minced ¼ cup finely minced ginger root 3 cups of your favourite chopped vegetables (kale, collard greens, peppers, carrots, zucchini, etc). 2 tablespoons coconut oil ¾ tablespoon grated turmeric ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper ½ teaspoon coriander ½ teaspoon cumin ½ teaspoon salt Directions:
- In a large saucepan warm the coconut oil on medium heat. Add the cloves, cinnamon, onions, garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin, turmeric and salt. Stir until fragrant.
- Add washed rice and mung means along with your water or bone broth.
- Stir and then bring to a boil, covered – allow it to boil for 5 min and then add in your vegetables.
- Turn down the heat and cook for around 30 min, until the rice and beans and veggies are soft.
- Once plated, sprinkle our GINGER/TURMERIC SAUERKRAUT on top (1-2 tablespoons).
- Eat with the ones you love.
Good source of Protein, Easy to Digest and stimulates digestion and circulation, Detoxifies, Warming, Full of vitamins and minerals, Probiotic daily dose when our kraut is added.